[TriLUG] OT - Some TWC Questions

Jos Purvis purvis at melete.org
Sun Dec 16 22:16:23 EST 2007

Somewhat offtopic, but I figured this is the list to ask, since a lot
of people have TWC. Here's my sitch: we have overpriced Verizon
business DSL, and I'm considering ditching it in favor of
Time-Warner's business cable service (thinking about business-class
service after hearing about their bandwidth squashing for Bittorrent
users). Couple questions, though, for those that have it or have
researched it, since their business-class site is pretty useless:

1) What are the prices & speeds like? I'm curious if these are
equivalent to their consumer class service or if they're lower speed
with higher SLAs.
2) Do they do port filtering, VPN blocking, or Bittorrent
squashing/QoS on the lines? Curious if I'm going to have to head to
the office to download the latest distro updates or get work done.

I'm in Durham, if it makes a difference--dunno if their services vary
by area. Would welcome any input; feel free to message me privately if
you prefer rather than tying up the list, or reply to the list if you
think it's generally useful.

TIA,

Jos