[TriLUG] OT - Some TWC Questions

Tim Jowers timjowers at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 14:07:38 EST 2007

I'd like to hear what you find out. My net search says business class is
about $150/month. What would you pay with Verizon? You can get a T1 for
about $300/month. TWC doesn't have the prices on the website from what I
could tell so I guess its a pay-as-you-go sales strategy. My main question
is if it is on the same networks as the residential stuff. I'd guess yes.

Linux note? OK, when you get the error about being unable to access
repomd.xml in Fedora 8 then edit /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora update repo and
uncomment the baseurl line. Apparently the mirror list is/was down or
otherwise blocked (also could not get to livna mirror list). Other websites
worked fine. (Software Updater, Add/Remove Software, fails as well.)

I'd really like to see TWC and other MAN (metro area network) networks
provide caching proxies for such well-known sites. These files are large and
really is no reason for them to not be on the MAN other than a small-medium
investment in disks and a little grunt work. I've noted before that when
your traceroute you find this area is not setup to be a MAN. Our Internet
access goes through other cities so to access the website down the road can
take you 1/2 way up the eastern seaboard and back through the deep south and
through dozens of routers along the way! I'd like to see some thought
leadership from the in situ controllers of the local [basically
non-existent] MAN(s).

TimJowers