[TriLUG] winter cleaning - tech stuff for sale

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 17:29:39 EST 2007

Here we go:

Addonics IDE to CF bridge with 3.5" drive bay mount option: $10
(http://www.addonics.com/products/flash_memory_reader/adidecf.asp)

1 quad interface 10/100 ethernet card.. working when pulled.  Then it sat
around for a couple (three?) years: $25
(pics coming later).  Worked with my version of Red Hat I was running at the
time.

Linksys EZXS16W 16 port 10/100 switch $30.  This switch is bonafide rock
solid; this switch provided YEARS of dependable service never offering any
problems.  I guess there is something to say about zero-configuration
switches as far as the KISS principle goes.  I just reconfigured the home
network today and removed the switch as there is no real need to have it in
place any longer.

I'm not sure why I'm bothering with this one but if you want to run a home
IDS like I was this thing will come in handy.  It is a Netgear EN 104 four
port ethernet *repeater*.  Just place the unit between your cable modem and
external firewall interface and you can then plug one of the other ports
into your inbound IDS interface.  It work quite well.  Even though it is 10
meg, half duplex it provides the added benefit of thottleing back your
internet traffic to force the firewall and not the cable modem to manage
traffic (some modems are quite notorious for dropping packets because they
are bombarded at 100 meg and have to throttle the traffic back to whatever
your cable modem speed is, which is probably a lot less then 10/half
anyway).  Anyway, blah blah blah: $10.00

One one-to-four USB hub.  $5.

One Axis 213 PTZ camera: $800.  Check ebay for what they are usually selling
for - this is a steal.  This camera does PTZ, color, night vision via IR,
motion detection (never used, I used external motion detection from Linux
Motion or SecuritySpy on OS X).

http://www.axis.com/products/cam_213/

One Linksys WVC54G 802.11g wireless webcam with upgraded 6 dbi gain
antenna.  This webcam works *ONLY* with Windows as the viewer REQUIRES
Active-X.  Needless to say in my household there is no use for such a
thing.  $40.

I'll put pictures of all this stuff on-line later tonight.  You can pick
this stuff up in Durham at the American Tobacco Historic District where I
work the first week in January.  If you really need something before that
I'll see what we can work out in terms of mailing, etc.

Greg