[TriLUG] latest ubuntu updates killed my wireless

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Sun Dec 23 23:24:30 EST 2007

whitdoug at email.unc.edu wrote:
> on another machine at the moment, which means no cut and paste, but in
> ifconfig I get eth0, but no eth1.  iwconfig says no wireless
> extensions for lo and eth0.
>
> I do, however, have Network Controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless
> 3945ABG showing up in lpsci.  I seem to have missed that in my earlier
> post.  Sorry about posting out of thread, btw, but I was in a rush.
>
> I'm not exactly sure what the /etc/network/interfaces should look
> like.  I had an eth0 in it and then added an eth1 to see what would
> happen....nothing did.  I then took out both of them to see what would
> happen...and nothing did.  So, not sure where to go from there
>
> Thanks for the help!

So the 3 ways to get an Intel IPW3945 working, are:
1. The IPW3945 drivers at sourceforge.  This requires ipw3945d binary
daemon running.

2. The Intel Restricted drivers available in Ubuntu in the restricted
drivers section.

Both of these should should IPW3945 as a module when you do a sudo
lsmod.   lsmod will show you what modules are loaded as opposed to
lspci, which will show you hardware the system detected.

3. Use the foss iwl drivers, which I believe show iwl in the lsmod output.

Do you know what driver you were using?  Again I think this is a
kernel/module problem.

Matt P.