[TriLUG] latest ubuntu updates killed my wireless

Douglas A. Whitfield whitdoug at email.unc.edu
Tue Dec 25 21:29:16 EST 2007

Now, when I go to the Ubuntu Software tab under software sources it says at
the bottom in bold Installable from CD-ROM/DVD and under that it says To
install from a CD-ROM or DVD, insert the medium into the drive.  But, when I
try to "force version" it doesn't give an option on where to download from.

one thing I saw in dmesg is ipw3945: Detected Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
Network Connection.  I don't think that says anything too interesting, but I
thought I'd mention things were showing up in ipw3945.  My thought right now
is that if I could get a network bridge working on XP (brother's box, though
his desktop is ubuntu) I could just roll back the versions using the wired,
but though everything appeared earlier to be fine with that, I wasn't
getting any Internet connectivity.  Both XP and ubuntu said they had a wired
connection.  XP said it had a bridge.

The wireless on the LiveCD is actually cutting in and out, so I think it
best if I go ahead and send this.  I hope tomorrow to have access to an
Ethernet port at the library.  We shall see.

Thanks for the help!