[TriLUG] latest ubuntu updates killed my wireless

Douglas A. Whitfield whitdoug at email.unc.edu
Wed Dec 26 11:51:06 EST 2007

I'm at a very irritating library now that won't let me use the static IP of
the box I am on to get wired connectivity.  I'm already taking up the
IP...what does it matter?  It's not like they don't want other computers on
their network because they give wireless access.  Anyway....

sudo Ismod gives "command not found"

on sudo ps -aux|grep ipw, it says bad ps syntax, perhaps a bogus '-'

then it says root 3703 with a bunch of zeros then ipw3945/0
then it says root 3704 with a bunch of zeros then ipw3945/1
then it says root 3705 with a bunch of zeros then ipw3945/0
then it says root 3706 with a bunch of zeros then ipw3945/1
lastly, if shows the grep with 28577, two zeros, 2980, 772 pts/0

Now, it says Dec25 for the ipw3945, which I didn't mention before and the
grep says 11:39 (haven't changed it to central time).  I don't know, but
does that Dec25 mean when I used it via the LiveCD?

It's not an encryption issue.  I can connect to the access point on the live
CD and it is not encrypted.

I still think reverting the linux-image might do the trick, but I can't do
it without Internet access it seems.  I have no flash drive or any sort of
media except a DVD, but I'd prefer not to burn a DVD for
that package and even if I did, it doesn't look like Synaptic would see it.

I do not have access to the access point, as I mentioned before.

sudo iwlist scanning says lo Interface doesn't support scanning
eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning...I could have already told
you though that eth1 wasn't showing up