[TriLUG] OT - VPN configuration question

Steve Kuekes steve at kuekes.homeip.net
Thu Dec 27 15:18:12 EST 2007

I use OpenVPN on my home network and I used 192.168.1.x as the network
address.  I also had problems connecting from hotspots that used the 1.x
network address for their local wireless network.  The problem is that
you client automatically routes 1.x network traffic onto the wireless
net rather than send it over the tunneled VPN.

As far as I know the only way to fix this is to renumber your main
network to be other than 1.x.  When I did this I didn't have any
problems.  And yes, it is a pain, so pick some network number that is
unusual so that you don't have to do it again.

Christopher L Merrill wrote:
> (ok, it is slightly on topic since we are using OpenVPN on a BSD
> box for our VPN)
>
> We are using OpenVPN for our VPN solution on a BSD firewall.  We all
> have laptops with the OpenVPN client.  One person has reported a
> problem connecting from public hotspots if the IP address given at
> by the hostspot is a 192.168.1.x address.  He thinks the problem is
> due to our office also using 192.168.1.x addresses.  As a result, he
> wants to change our internal network to something else...which will
> be a LOT of work.  I've never had any problems connecting from
> anywhere. I connected yesterday from a hotspot and noted that I had
> been assigned a 192.168.1.x address and I did not have any problems.
>
> The only obvious difference is that he's on OSX and I'm on XP.
> Other than that, I can't come up with an answer to the problem.
>
> Any ideas what the problem might be or how to fix it?

Steve Kuekes

Insight Racing - Urban Grand Challenge('07) - http://www.insightracing.org
Private Pilot: N9259R '95 Saratoga based at Sanford-Lee County Regional
(TTA)
email: skuekes at nc.rr.com