[TriLUG] Linux Laptop

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sat Dec 29 08:22:42 EST 2007

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007, James Tuttle wrote:

> I've never had a laptop that didn't support Linux.

Ihave a Thinkpad 600E, which was difficult to get going
under 2.4.x/hotplug

o I used a xircom combo ethernet/modem. The modem collided
with the internal winmodem and the hot plug scripts thought
the ethernet card was a modem (or the modem was an ethernet
card, forget which). I got this sorted out by subscribing to
the hotplug mailing list.

o the sound worked via a recipe I found on the internet

Now with 2.6.x/udev, none of these work anymore.

I would be careful of laptops with internal winmodems

Joe