[TriLUG] TomTom Linux support

Jason White jason at jw2.org
Sat Dec 29 10:07:54 EST 2007

In case anyone else out there got a TomTom GPS unit for Christmas, and
would like to use a Linux workstation to connect to the device....

Well, they don't have a Linux version of TomTom HOME.  I tried using
the Windows version with Crossover/Wine, but never got it to work.
(There are reports of the older v1 software working, but v2 of TomTom
HOME for Windows doesn't seem to emulate very well.)   Note: they do
have a Mac version.

Here's the response I got from TomTom on releasing a Linux version:

   At this time we are not aware of a release date that this would be
   possible, but TomTom is always striving to better our service for
   all users.  We will forward you comments to our product development
   team for review.  It is feedback from customers like you that help
   us make the needed changes.

As many of you probbaly know, the GPS device itself (at least the GO
models) run Linux[1].  I was just hoping they had Linux support on the
desktop as well.  The device does connect fine as a USB mass storage
device -- so you can upload mp3s (if your model supports it), or
icons, etc.  But, without the TomTom HOME software, I don't know of a
way to update the maps.

HTH,
Jason

1. http://www.tomtom.com/page.php?Page=gpl