[TriLUG] so what does a 10 phone Asterisk system cost these days?

jonc at nc.rr.com jonc at nc.rr.com
Sat Dec 29 21:58:07 EST 2007

Lookup pricing on Voipsupply.com. They sell a Trixbox that would work just fine for your friends. Very easy to setup. Very easy to maintain. Full of features that you will never find on a cheapo Analog PBX.
I recommend model CEROSR4XO-EC  (advertised price:  $1,335.99)

Note: if they plan on growing, you might want the more pricey TB-01...

This would use the 4 incoming lines from Sprint for connection to the PSTN and let them use VoIP phones for connections to the PBX.

Cerient (Cerient.net) has experience with similar installs. So far they have a great on-site track record for VoIP/hybrid pbx installs.

Now for the interesting part of a phone system - the clients will judge the new system almost completely on the handsets that are put in with the system... No matter how good the features and sound quality, crappy handsets == crappy phone system.
I recommend you get Polycomm (or Cisco)phones for the system. These will cost from $100 to $200 each depending on the functions you need for the phones. Of course you could go with Softphones like the VT-GO from IPBlue. These are about half the cost of Hardware phones and generally work very well - as long as the computer workstations are decent.

Good Luck!

Jon Carnes
FeatureTel