[TriLUG] so what does a 10 phone Asterisk system cost these days?

Kevin J. mrkevinj at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 30 10:16:07 EST 2007

On Trixbox, I've heard both good (e.g., easy to setup and use, asterisk-based, decent support, one person I know just moved his entire office over to Trixbox and has had no problems outside of poor/unavailable FoIP fax capability which is less of a problem with Trixbox than FoIP I think), and bad (e.g., uses a fork of asterisk which may not be completely supportable if Trixbox goes out of business, many VoIP phones are not well-supported and the phone/appliance setup is "buggy" unless using the right VoIP phones, a couple of PBX/VoIP vendors I spoke with mentioned that a number of them come back after customers try them and become disappointed).

The folks at voipsupply.com sell a lot of them and the salesman I spoke with tried to steer me towards the Rhino setup (the same one Jon mentioned) over the Trixbox (we ended up going with hosted VoIP through Spirit Telecom in the end). Rhino makes the Trixbox appliance for Trixbox and also sells a non-branded bundle for resellers. Supposedly their support is better than the support provided by Trixbox, but this was several months ago and things may have improved. I'd recommend talking to voipsupply.com and others for as many "real world" opinions as you can find.

The voipsupply salesman also recommended Switchvox (another Asterisk-based appliance) and said they seemed to have a very well-built system overall. Switchvox and several others (e.g., Evolution PBX) provide the same "hybrid-hosted" model as Trixbox which basically means they will monitor the system remotely for a monthly fee and proactively fix any issues.

You need to find the right mix of ingredients for your budget and needs (phones, features, appliance, and support) and ask a LOT of questions. Voipsupply also sells the Talkswitch bundle so it might be a good idea to ask them what customer feedback has been on that as well.

Kevin