[TriLUG] ubuntu keymapping question for capslock = ctrl

bak bak at picklefactory.org
Sun Dec 30 10:40:07 EST 2007

So I'm using Ubuntu and Gnome these days, and occasionally I like to
plug in a keyboard other than my HHKB.  I am completely non-functional
without a ctrl in what is normally the capslock position -- blame all
those years with Sun workstations.

Gnome 'keyboard' preferences will let me choose "Make CapsLock key an
additional Ctrl" under 'layout options', but this sucks.

Why? Because unless you hit Ctrl first, it doesn't take effect as a
modifying key.  So, for example, "ctrl+alt+rightarrow" doesn't move my
desktop over one unless I press ctrl first.  And holding down
"ctrl+alt" and arrowing around doesn't work, either.  Completely
braindead.

The normal ctrl key works just fine, of course.

So I guess this is the question -- how do I do this "lower down" on
the stack, say, at the X.org or kernel level?  Keymapping mojo has
never really been my strong suit.  I've actually solved this problem
for Windows (when I have to use it) with a nifty macro program called
AutoHotKey.

--bak