[TriLUG] enabling SSH into private network

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Wed Jan 2 11:16:52 EST 2008

> If your POS systesm are getting their IP's via DHCP,  setting up port
> forwarding will eventually blow up on you.

At home, I use dnsmasq as my DHCP server. This is a very nice DNS proxy
and DHCP server package that allows you to fix the IP addresses at the
server, but still configure the clients to use DHCP. In this case, port
forwarding will not blow up because their IP's are essentially fixed
(but fixed by the DHCP server and not by the individual clients).

I think this package would be a useful addition to your single point of
access machine.

Alan

.