[TriLUG] Specifying fixed addresses using DHCP (was Re: enabling SSH into private network)

Lance A. Brown lance at bearcircle.net
Wed Jan 2 20:09:15 EST 2008

Jason Watts said the following on 1/2/2008 5:25 PM:
> being the non networking expert I am, didnt know that was possible.  I guess
> the next question to be asked should be does his router support that :).

That is a good question, if whatever is providing his DHCP doesn't do
fixed assignments than he won't be able to do that. :-)

> With what you described.  does the router hold the IP's/mac's indef or for a
> specified amount of time?

On linux, using bind DHCP server, you do something like:

        host wrt54g-bearsden {
                hardware ethernet 00:aa:bb:cc:dd:ee;
                fixed-address 192.168.0.10;
        }

to specify a fixed IP address for a mac address.

On my WRT54G wireless router/access point, there is a configuration web
page to specify IP addresses for specific mac addresses.

--[Lance]

--
 Celebrate The Circle   http://www.celebratethecircle.org/
 Carolina Spirit Quest  http://www.carolinaspiritquest.org/