[TriLUG] DDNS (and maybe DHCP) on host not router, was: enabling SSH into private network

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Fri Jan 4 12:51:43 EST 2008

Uh, I think you read more into my post than I meant. I did not fully
understand your reply.

What I meant to say was this...

In a small network, like a home, it is not necessary to run the DynDNS
client on the router itself. Instead, it can be run on any of the
machines behind the router. A lot of people run it on a Windows PC that
sits behind the router. The DynDNS client sends some sort of ping to
dyndns.org, and then their server figures out where the ping originated
from, and it records that IP address.

Meanwhile, your network is getting complicated enough that you might
consider running openvpn.

This would allow you to "connect" to the store's network from anywhere.
Once there, the openvpn server takes care of routing your traffic from
your remote location to the local network. So you can directly access
any machine on the local network by a direct IP connection.

If you'd like a more elaborate explanation, contact me off-list.

Alan

.