[TriLUG] Wireless Keyboard ... which one?

Ritesh Kumar ritesh at cs.unc.edu
Fri Jan 4 13:49:53 EST 2008

On Jan 3, 2008 5:17 PM, Carl Crider <c.crider at gmail.com> wrote:

> OK, I was bitten by the "clean your workspace" bug recently. I managed
> to get all the cables tucked away, velcro'd, zip-tied, and mounted
> everything
> neatly under the desk. Then I broke my promise of never using a wireless
> mouse; tried one years ago and hated it. I was given one, and it works
> with
> my Lin box like it should. Now I want a wireless keyboard. I like very
> sturdy
> feeling keyboards, something with weight to it.
> Anyone have suggestions?
>
> Thanks all and Happy New Year!
>
> Carl

I recently bought and am very happy with the microsoft entertainment desktop
7000 (keyboard + mouse). They are wireless bluetooth with a bluetooth USB
dongle in case your computer doesn't have bluetooth. The keyboard has large
keys and their action is very firm and very comfortable to type... its like
a thinkpad laptop keyboard with larger keys. It also uses AA batteries for
both keyboard and mouse.

However, there are two things you might consider before shelling out your
money:
1) Wireless mouse are good and all but they don't have the kind of bandwidth
wired mice have. So gaming using a wireless mice will be problematic. The
keyboard also becomes problematic but to a lesser extent. For normal desktop
work there is no hindrance at all.
2) Wireless mice tend to be heavy. My mouse contains a single AA battery and
its still heavy. Most are not bothered by it for desktop usage but things
change when gaming comes into picture. Mice manufacturers should really
think of the option to not include the charger *inside* the mouse.

I found the Microsoft keyboard and mice to work very well with both linux
and windows and even with my machines BIOS (and grub).

HTH,

_r