[TriLUG] DDNS (and maybe DHCP) on host not router

Tom Roche Tom_Roche at pobox.com
Sat Jan 5 16:31:01 EST 2008

Tom Roche Sat Jan 5 09:19:24 EST 2008
 >>                                     lane
 >>                                    /
 >>   Roadrunner -- Surfboard -- DI-604 -- laptop
 >>                                    \
 >>                                     backend

Randy Barlow Sat Jan 5 11:50:46 EST 2008
 > You are correct that it is the router that gets the IP, but it
 > doesn't have to be the router to run the update client (though it
 > can be).

Correct, just not in the case of the DI-604. (Unless I'm REALLY
missing something :-)

 > It is possible for devices on the private network to determine the
 > public IP of that router. Actually, you can see that for yourself -
 > go to http://whatismyipaddress.com and you will see your public IP,
 > even if you are on a machine on the PN.

Indeed!

 > I think the DynDNS update script works similarly.

I'll give that a shot. For now I've got the WRT54Gv5 working for the
testbed and my friends, but as previously indicated, for deployment I
want the POS off the wireless (and vv).

Thanks, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche at pobox.com>