[TriLUG] fslint

Mike Seda maseda at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 15:41:21 EST 2008

all,
i have a problem where users are filling up a 2.3 TB partition much
quicker than expected.

it turns out that there are about 5000 duplicate files there. each file
is around 200 MB. i was going to write my own deduplication script when
i came across a tool called fslint:
http://www.pixelbeat.org/fslint

this tool is just a suite of shell scripts. the script (findup) locates
duplicate files by wrapping some common linux utilities, e.g. find,
md5sum. basically, i am interested in running the following command:
/path/to/findup -m /path/to/crazy_dir

the aforementioned command says "any found duplicates will be merged
(using hardlinks)". there is no option for using symlinks. my question
is why use hardlinks versus symlinks?

also, i would like to know the experiences of anyone who has used fslint
from command-line (especially the -m option).

thx (in advance),
mike