[TriLUG] fslint

Paul G. Szabady Paul at ThyService.com
Thu Jan 10 10:27:51 EST 2008

Greetings,

<...snip...>
> I recall Netapp not too long ago talking publicly about a new automatic
> de-duplication capability in data OnTAP, which hopefully avoids the
> above limitation.   Hm, could some advanced Linux filesystem already
> have it?  I don't know.

<...snip...>

There may or may not be any advanced linux filesystem with this
capability, I'm not sure.  But I sat through an extremely interesting
de-dupe presentation from Data Domain yesterday.  If I remember correctly,
their CTO was the guy that developed WAFL for NetApp.  A number of other
technical and sales engineers came over from NetApp and their product has
a lot of similarities to NetApp. (Go figure, huh?) Data Domain holds at
least a couple of patents on their "inline de-dupe and compression"
technology.  Depending on your budget of course, the cost of getting
started with their appliance was surprisingly low at ~$.50/GB.  Contact me
directly if you want contact info for the folks that performed the dog and
pony show for my organization yesterday.

Insert standard disclaimers here (ie: I have no vested interest in Data
Domain....blah, blah, blah)

--
Paul
@ Thy Service