[TriLUG] How to get laptop earphone jack to work?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Jan 10 20:44:57 EST 2008

Hi all,

I have a Compaq Presario V6133CL laptop running Mandriva 2007. The sound
system works perfectly out of its dinky little speakers. However, when
connect the input plug of my powered speaker system, which works perfectly
with my desktop, to the earphone jack of the laptop, no sound comes out of
them, and the sound still comes out of the little laptop speakers.

I tried lubricating the speaker system plugs to no available. I turned the up
the volume of the speaker system to maximum -- no sound. However, if I put my
finger on the plug a buzz comes out the speakers.

I looked around for a function key combination that would effect the sound
system and couldn't find one. The only thing I can find is a speaker on
speaker off button and an LED touch slide pot, but neither of these work
under Mandriva 2007.

When I run aumix, there are three sliders: Volume, which works perfectly,
Line, which will not let me set it at anything but 100%, and Mic, which again
will not let me set it at anything but 100%.

What can I do to drive powered external speakers from this laptop?

Thanks

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author: Universal Troubleshooting Process books and courseware