[TriLUG] How to get laptop earphone jack to work?

Reid Sayre rlsayre at bellsouth.net
Thu Jan 10 22:49:34 EST 2008

Be sure you are plugging the speakers into the correct jack. The buzz
you hear when you touch the plug that is plugged into the jack indicates
that you are touching the MICRPHONE input, not the speaker output.

I have half a dozen systems around of various ages. The simpler systems
(laptops, built in motherboard sound, PCI sound card) have either two or
three jacks, colored red, green, and blue. The red one is the microphone
jack, the blue one is the "line in" jack (does not exist in all
systems), and the green one is the speaker/headphone jack in all cases.
When you plug a headphone plug or a plug for external powered speakers
into the correct jack (the green one in all of my systems), there is a
physical switch built-in to the jack that turns off the built-in
speakers. It has nothing to do with software drivers (unless you have a
very unusual system).

If you think you are in the correct jack, then try the other ones
anyway. They are usually clustered closely together, and I suppose it's
possible that they are mis-labelled or mis-colored. The connection from
the laptop to the external powered speaker is set up in such a way that
there will be no damage if you plug it in the wrong jack. The connection
to the external speaker is an input, and connecting an input to another
input (microphone or line-in) is not likely to damage anything.

Reid Sayre

--
Reid Sayre
rlsayre at bellsouth.net