[TriLUG] How to get laptop earphone jack to work?

Owen oberry at trilug.org
Fri Jan 11 09:46:48 EST 2008

Try running alsamixer from the command line and see what options you
have available. On my desktop, which has an internal speaker and
therefore basically has the same setup as your laptop, I have two
"items" I can play with: "Headphone" and "Headphone Jack Sense". First
of all make sure you have the Headphone unmuted, and then make sure you
have the Jack Sense on. The Jack Sense is used to detect when you have
something plugged into the headphone plug.

BTW, in case you haven't used alsamixer before, use the arrow keys to
move left and right amongst the items, the "m" key for toggling mute or
on/off, and Esc to exit.

Let us know if that works for you.

Owen