[TriLUG] How to get laptop earphone jack to work?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Jan 11 11:08:59 EST 2008

On Friday 11 January 2008 09:03, Glenn Starling wrote:
> Probably the lubricant on the speaker system plugs and jacks was a
> mistake, but I suspect it would only result in intermittent operation.
> I wouldn't worry too much about it until you get the computer/speakers
> working, but wouldn't try it again!
>
> You might also consider:
> *	Insure that it is the headphone jack rather than a mic jack that you
> have plugged the speakers into.

Done.

> *	Has the laptop been taken apart where it is possible a jumper from the
> headphone jack was not correctly plugged back into the motherboard when
> the repairs were finished?

To my knowledge the only disassembly was when I replaced the battery.

> *	 Was the microphone jack physically damaged?  Many times there is a
> switch that is a part of the jack, so that when a plug is inserted it
> disconnects the internal speaker.  Are the switch contacts clean and
> still functioning?

I hesitate to disassemble a laptop. My hands are too big for miniturized
laptop parts. I lubricated the plug, so if it were just a matter of
dirt/oxidation, that would have fixed it.

> *	Check the way that particular laptop was "supposed to work."  There
> may have been a software combination (function key, etc.) that would
> activate the headphone.  I don't have any experience with the Compaq
> Presario V133CL.  Without knowing, it is difficult to tell if it is
> hardware or software.

That's the best idea. I'm gonna download the manuals now. Thanks

SteveT