[TriLUG] Linksys long in the tooth?

Randy Barlow randy at electronsweatshop.com
Tue Jan 15 12:32:51 EST 2008

jbrigman at nc.rr.com wrote:
> Lesson to the rest of us - try to avoid equipment that uses 5v rather than 12v, it appears the lower voltage, higher current contributes to early failure - I've got at least four instances of this just in my own experience.

I don't think this is really true.  You assume here that two devices use
equal amount of power.  A 12 V device could very well use the same
current as a 5 V device and more than double the power consumption.
Power consumption is what causes heat, which is one thing that can lead
to failure.

--
Randy Barlow
http://electronsweatshop.com