[TriLUG] How to get laptop earphone jack to work?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Jan 16 15:27:52 EST 2008

On Friday 11 January 2008 12:20, John Mitchell wrote:
> > I'm indeed suspecting hardware.
> > you need
> > to do the following disassembly:
>
> Before you go the disassembly route, you might want to Boot several
> Live CD's of other Distros to see if the headphone jack worked OK with
> them.
> http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/    or
> http://www.puppylinux.com/   would be a quick download & test.
>
> john mitchell

Good idea. I booted Knoppix and the symptom was identical. I used a set of
headphones and the symptom was identical.

At this point I'm assuming hardware, and as mentioned, disassembly of this
computer is way too complex for me to attempt.

To answer a few other questions:

Yep, I'm sure it isn't the mike jack.
Yep, I'm sure it's the headphone jack.
Yep, I tried everything in the various mixer programs.
Except for a 1 inch drop, the machine's received no hard handling.

I'll just use the machine without external speakers.

Thanks

SteveT