[TriLUG] Advice on an ultra-light notebook (Kevin J.)

Bill Whiting textux at bellsouth.net
Fri Jan 18 12:33:51 EST 2008

I have a 14" widescreen T61, I can't tell how it compares to the X61
other than the T is not a tablet.  The website doesn't talk about the
graphics chipset, etx.
I like the size and weight of the T61.  I chose the smaller screen
because I often travel alot and the size and weight are more important
than the screen real-estate.  I did have problems with the wireless
chipset (Intel 4965AGN).  I switched to Fedora in order to get to
current kernel and applied Intels wireless drivers.  The CPU speed
scaling is recognized and automatic scaling works well.  The battery
life is good (I have the large battery and can usually get 2 hours from
a full charge).

I chose the Nvidia graphics chipset.  I run Nvidia's proprietary drivers
and don't have any problems with the support.
I run vmware almost constantly and find the performance great.

All in all the T61 has been a great choice for me.

//Bill