[TriLUG] OT: Low cost way to offline 3 Tb

Matthew Sayler sayler at thewalrus.org
Tue Jan 22 09:57:15 EST 2008

On Jan 22, 2008, at 9:36 AM, Brian Henning wrote:

> Nah, don't hexdump..  Use something a little more efficient, maybe
> base-64?
>
> But that raises an interesting question (to me, at least):  What would
> be the mean error rate (and what sort of error correction measures
> might
> need to be employed) for "saving" by printing to paper (in some
> binary-encoding format such as the aforementioned base-64), and

http://www.ollydbg.de/Paperbak/index.html

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v385/Fergo/pb_grande.jpg

"6. History.

Once upon a time, my oldest son (he was 15 then) asked me: "Dad, how
the huge amounts of data are saved on the small CD?" A brief
explanation from my side followed, I took a very sharp pencil and
tried to draw as small points and lines as possible, in order to
emphasize how dense the data is. Then my son asked: "How much data can
you place this way on the single sheet of paper?" My estimation was in
the order of 100 K. "Can we make a try?" It took me four or five days
to make the proof of concept, and another two weeks to integrate
packer, encryption and user interface. Then I lost the interest and
put the whole project into the darkest corner of the deepest directory
on my hard disk. (One more joke). But why keep potentially useful code
to myself? So now I am releasing it under GPL 3."

GPLv3, natch!

Matt