[TriLUG] DHCP renewal problems

Christopher L Merrill chris at webperformance.com
Tue Jan 22 15:11:50 EST 2008

Matt Pusateri wrote:
> What happens when you just ifdown ifup the interface.  Also the LiveCD

Same result  :(

> maybe running NetworkManager which will do some funky stuff in and of
> itself to get networking working.

You are correct -- I saw:
   NetworkManager: <info> Device 'eth0' DHCP transaction took too
   long (>45s), stopping it.

Additionally I:
- booted an older Knoppix disk (4.1?) on one of the SC1420s.  I was able
to "/sbin/service networking restart" successfully.  It didn't say
anything about re-DHCPing, but I assume it did that under the covers.
- booted the Fedora 7 CD on my Thinkpad.  It didn't like the video card
or wireless NIC very much, but it DHCPed on the ethernet adapter without
any problems and restarting the network was successful.

It looks like this problem is specific to Fedora7 and some part of the
Dell hardware...I'll assume it is the NIC.  Since we'll be releasing
this to customers soon, I wish I had a better feel for just how many
PC models out there will be affected by this :(

Chris

chris at webperformance.com                |  http://webperformance.com
919-433-1762                            |  919-845-7601

Website Load Testing and Stress Testing Software & Services