[TriLUG] looking for puzzle/game algorithm.

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue Jan 22 19:34:18 EST 2008

I don't know how to look this up in google.

You're given an arbitary length of string. You're allowed to
cut off any length upto a fixed amount (say 9 inches); the
computer is allowed to do the same. The player that takes
the last piece of string is the winner. I don't remember if
there is a minimum amount you have to take.

I saw this run on what I think was a tube based calculator
in the early '60s for a lab open day (where I played and
lost).

Anyone know what the game is called or what the winning
algorithm is (it was explained to me at the time, but I
didn't really understand it and I've forgotten)?

Thanks
Joe