[TriLUG] OT: Home Security without the phone line?

James Tuttle jjtuttle at trilug.org
Tue Jan 22 21:16:12 EST 2008

I've just discussed these very options with a couple of alarm companies.
 I don't have a home phone.  I opted for cell monitoring.  You said that
wouldn't work for you, right?  ADT did mention that they did VoIP
monitoring, but we never got into details about how much it cost.  I got
the impression that they thought it was unreliable.  I always have to
wonder if it has to do with profitability when I'm discouraged without
an explanation.

The cell phone equipment (Telegauard TG-4) cost me $200 and cell
monitoring costs an additional $7 a month.

Perhaps I worry too much, but I've been told a few times that burglars
are more frequently cutting phone lines.  Who knows if they're smart
enough to cut coax cables?

One other thing: if you have the installer code for your system, be
careful that anyone you invite in to work on your system, if you do,
doesn't change the installer code.  Always say something like "Hey,
before you leave, I'd like to change the exit time for the front door."
 Then, make sure the code is still the same.  I've heard some pretty
crappy stories about installers who come in to add a component or
something changing the installer code which locks you out of programming
your system and increases their profit margin since you'll have to call
them to come out every time you want to change something.

Jim

Greg Brown wrote:
> Having an old-style land line is just killing me (from a technical
> standpoint); it's just so darn unnecessary with VoIP, etc, etc.  Granted my
> cell phone (and no provider of which I am aware) works with a hoot out in my
> neck of the woods so I can't go "cell only".  I suppose I've read too many
> horror stories about VoIP and phone-based security systems not working very
> well together.  Does anyone have any first person experiences INCLUDING
> verification the system actually works?
>
> My question then is thus: what are my options for security monitoring over
> the Internet?  I am looking for fire and break-in sensing and, past that,
> I'm not 100% sure what.
>
> I want this #@%$#! phone line out of here.  What are my options?

---Jim Tuttle