[TriLUG] OT: Home Security without the phone line?

Steve Hoffman srhoffman at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 00:24:54 EST 2008

Actually, I currently have my home system (CPI) running through our vonage
account just fine...we opted for the lowest possible package for like $17 or
something / month and do a monthly test with the two way voice system and
you wouldn't know it's on VoIP.  The phone trap works fine if we're on the
phone and the system needs to take over (we have all our phones run to a
central patch panel that has a security override trap to take over the line
when the alarm needs it).  I did invest a few bucks in battery backups and
threw the main breaker just to make sure it still works so if the whole
house loses power, the cable modem, alarm and vonage router have about 6
horus of juice (that's a calculation based on draw...I never actually waited
more then 45 minutes...).  We've been doing this for probably three years
now and haven't had a single problem.

As for our CPI service, we have the whole downstairs monitored (doors and
windows) and have their heat detection fire alarms that include smoke
alarms.  If for any reason there's an issue (fire, glass break or secondary
door opens) they come over the system in < 30 seconds and require us to
verify our identity with a password; if we can't then they call the police.
The fire sensor automatically sends the fire dept and there's a code we can
enter when disarming that automatically silences the alarm and alerts them
to call the police (like if we were in the house with a burgler).  I think
we pay $36 a month for that, but I'm sure other companys offer similar
service for maybe less money, but we've been happy with them so I don't plan
on changing.

HTH,
Steve