[TriLUG] Disk space calculations in Linux

Cristóbal Palmer cristobalpalmer at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 16:42:05 EST 2008

On Jan 24, 2008 4:34 PM, Brian McCullough <bdmc at bdmcc-us.com> wrote:
> > While you're at it, can people explain why SNMP and df reportings of
> > disk usage don't match?
>
> That's easy, Christobal.  ( Sorry, don't have the special keyboard. )

No worries (there's no 'h' in my name, though)

> It's the difference between 10^3 and 2^10.

Pardon my ignorance and apparently my failure at arithmetic, but
shouldn't a percentage be a percentage? How can two different _usage_
numbers (that is, % of the filesystem that's used) both be right? If
one is wrong, which is it? Maybe if you explain in a bit more depth
I'll catch what I'm missing.

Also, sorry if this is a derail. I'm still interested in the answer to
the OP's question.

Cheers,
--
Cristóbal M. Palmer
celebrating 15 years of sunsite/metalab/ibiblio: