[TriLUG] What filesystem would you use for a laptop?

OlsonE at aosa.army.mil OlsonE at aosa.army.mil
Fri Jan 25 10:05:54 EST 2008

ext3 with journaling.

-----Original Message-----
From: trilug-bounces at trilug.org [mailto:trilug-bounces at trilug.org] On
Behalf Of Andrew Perrin
Sent: Friday, January 25, 2008 9:53 AM
To: trilug at trilug.org
Subject: [TriLUG] What filesystem would you use for a laptop?

It's been a while since I've set up a new system. I've never before used
a journaling FS, but am considering either riser or ext3 for the one
that's supposed to arrive today (woo-hoo). Comments? Does the journaling
take processor overhead, and thereby battery time? I tend to think of my
laptop as a portable peripheral to my desktop, so fast boot time is nice
but there won't be a lot of crucial data stored on the machine.

Thanks-
Andy