[TriLUG] Using Loop Device

James c. Jones jonesjc at intrex.net
Mon Jan 28 11:13:47 EST 2008

All,

I have a dd file that I wish to extract some items. I was informed that
using a loop device was the way to do this.

I followed a tutorial on loop devices, but I can't see any data within
the dd file. I thought at first that perhaps I had a corrupted dd file,
but I created a new dd file and I still can't read the data. All I ever
get is a lost+found directory with no data in it.

Here are the basic commands I have used to setup the loop device.

# losetup  /dev/loop0
# mkfs.ext3 -t ext3 /dev/loop0
# mount -t ext3 /dev/loop0 /mnt ...

I did the step to analyze my image file ( name of my image file is imagefile.img ) and I get the following response.

fdisk -C 592  /mnt/hdc1/imagefile.img
Device contains neither a valid DOS partition table, nor Sun, SGI or OSF
disklabel
Building a new DOS disklabel. Changes will remain in memory only,
until you decide to write them. After that, of course, the previous
content won't be recoverable.

Warning: invalid flag 0x0000 of partition table 4 will be corrected by
w(rite)