[TriLUG] Catalyst framework

Michael Alan Dorman mdorman at ironicdesign.com
Thu Jan 31 12:12:47 EST 2008

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 11:35:04 -0500
Owen <oberry at trilug.org> wrote:

> Thanks, Mike. And if I didn't *have* to work in Perl ...??

You probably ought to ask someone else, because I've not actually
found a compelling reason to work outside of Perl for web projects. :)

I certainly have respect for Ruby on Rails and Python's Django.
If you're already familiar with PHP, Java, C#, I know they all have
options (though I don't remember the names) so they might be worth
considering.

> What are the negative things people say? All I've seen so far is the
> complexity of the installation due to the number of modules.

Well I don't see any of that because I use Debian, so installing
catalyst is 'apt-get install libcatalyst-perl'.

But the complaints are the usual against perl:

"Looks too much like line-noise"
"Too many ways to do it"
"You can't write large structures systems in Perl"
"It's not really OO"

You can write more if you wish. :).  In most cases, I chalk it up to
mistaking a personal preference for an engineering reason. Amateurs
will write crap code in anything.  Good engineers can write good code
in pretty much anything.  Work with whatever gives you an appropriate
tradeoff between productivity, scalability and maintainability.

Mike.