[TriLUG] Piece of History

Judy Hallman hallman at email.unc.edu
Fri Feb 22 18:25:09 EST 2008

Well, this is conversation is fun!

We've JUST started a Drupal site for the history of computing at UNC
Chapel Hill and I've spent most of the day scanning photos, mostly of
the Univac 1105. I took my second programming class on the Univac in
1961 (the first was Assembler on a Bell Labs IBM 704 in 1960).

My first experience with modems was with a teletype, connected to TUCC
(Triangle University's Computation Center). I remember it as 30
characters per second, but don't remember the baud rate -- was that 300
baud? In any case, I did have a 300 baud modem at home, but the name of
the computer is not coming to mind. It was something Rostyk Lewyckyj
discovered. I'm sure I'll remember more of this stuff as I scan more of
the campus computing history.

If you want an early look at the web site, it's at
http://ibiblio.org/comphist
Click "Images" in the left sidebar -- or "Recent posts" if you want to
see what I scanned today.

While at UNC, I collected a LOT of campus computing history and just
started working on the four boxes of stuff. I expect my part of this
project to take about a year.

If any of you Drupal folks have ideas for improving the site, please let
me know. I still have a lot to learn about Drupal.

Judy Hallman, UNC class of 1959, MA 1965
http://www.unc.edu/~hallman/