[TriLUG] Piece of History

Scott G. Hall ScottGHall at BellSouth.Net
Sat Feb 23 16:47:17 EST 2008

Tarus Balog wrote:
> On Feb 22, 2008, at 4:16 PM, Greg Brown wrote:
>> Oh dag.. I forgot about 1200 baud.  I wasn't around for the 300 baud
>> days..
>> at least I wasn't on-line during that time though I did connect with one
>> once to see how slow it was.  And dammit, it was SLOW.
>
> I got a TRS-80 Model 1 for Christmas, 1978. The tape player used for
> data storage was at 150 baud, upgraded to 300 baud with "Level 2
> Basic". That's about my experience with anything that slow. I think I
> started using BBSes at 1200 baud.

A year following (1979), I got one of my high-school's DEC-Writer
terminals -- you know the hardcopy terminal with the 132-column 9-pin
dot-matrix printhead swooshing back and forth slower than an old Epson
MX80 would a year later?  (Our area high schools were replacing an
HP-2000 time-sharing unit with Apple-]['s and Apple-][e's)  This
terminal has a built-in modem with 75 baud, 150 baud and 300 baud -- and
at 300 baud the characters would come in faster than the printhead could
print them unless there were delays for a linefeed or a carriage return.

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA