[TriLUG] Piece of History

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Sat Feb 23 22:32:44 EST 2008

On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 06:00:48PM -0500, Scott G. Hall wrote:
> Does a 1972-vintage TI Silent-700 Model 725 briefcase thermal-paper
> terminal count?  The acoustic-coupled modem has a 110 baud, 150 baud and
> a 300 baud setting (marked as 10, 15 or 30 characters per second).
>
> My dad was an outside saleman on the road from Monday morning to Friday
> evening, and used this terminal to take orders from.  It had bubble
> memory for him to punch orders in by day, and download them at night.
> Here is a pointer to one that is almost identical (look at the manual
> cover shots), but is for a "Tymshare 100";
> http://www.digibarn.com/collections/systems/ti-tymshare-100/index.html
> (the one I have is clearly labeled "TI Silent 700").

Oh, yes.  That was an "expensive" machine.  I couldn't afford one, which
is why I had the big surplus Selectric-based machine.

For those who don't know, or can't remember, Tymshare was a big
timesharing service that offered accounts on DEC 10s, DEC 20s and (
fuzzy memory ) RCA / Sperry mainframes. ( I've forgotten models there. )
If I remember correctly, there MAY have been a third option.

I still have some printouts from them.  I would write a program "on
line" ( dial-up connection ), run the program, and they would mail the
output to me.

Brian