[TriLUG] the future of programming (was Piece of History)

Kevin J. mrkevinj at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 24 22:28:51 EST 2008

Man, I could not have that said that better if I tried. Many of the things you said are some of the very reasons why I, and several other members of our local (UC)LUG, created the Free Linux PC program (www.freelinuxpc.org). It seems very obvious, to me anyway, that the time has come for every child to have at least a basic introduction to technology; and awareness of how information is created, controlled, modified, and disseminated.

It's happening all around the world already. Children, even in slums, are getting access to the same information that kids in wealthier nations have access to; and they are quite often much more motivated to learn and excel. The combined brain power of the human species is just mind-boggling; and I think we're just at the very beginning of a tremendous awakening of knowledge and communication.

At any rate, your points are well taken. Personally, I think there needs to be a much broader discussion of the impact and use of technology, particularly in small town America. The kids who are not getting constant exposure to computing today are going to be at a severe loss in 10, 15, 20 years. I have been in the IT field for just over 10 years, but I am probably the biggest noob on this list. It takes 15 - 20 years of study and practice just to gain serious computing skills unless you are hard-wired for it (i.e., have a mild to severe case of Asperger's Syndrome). I don't know if you've ever heard of "The Wealth of Networks"  by Yochai Benkler (http://www.benkler.org/wealth_of_networks/index.php/Main_Page), but you'd probably find it a worthwhile read.

Kevin