[TriLUG] WLAN cardbus adapter suggestions?

Neil L. Little nllittle at embarqmail.com
Thu Feb 28 22:30:06 EST 2008

Just recently bought myself a used laptop and need to find a WLAN
adapter (32 bit cardbus).
I will we needing and adapter that will work with WPA-PSK

So far I have come across the DLink DWL-G650 and ASUS WL-107G as
adapters that have a fairly good track record with linux.

The Dlink adapter this one has the higher throughput (108mbps) and there
seems to be some success with getting it to "cooperate" but some bad
stories as well.
With the ASUS adapter has the lower throughput (54mbps). It appears that
the company shows successful operation with linux but doesnt seem to be
very popular.

What laptop?: Compaq EVO-N610c with a 1.8Ghz P4 intel processor. ATI gpu
and 1Gb of memory
What linux distro?: kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy. (This was the easiest install I
have had so far. It just worked!)

For those who are interested I purchased the laptop from WARP Computers
on Capitol Blvd. The person that sold me the computer actually "talked"
linux speak and
let me boot it with a livecd and helped me examine the hardware to make
sure that every thing would run. I give two thumbs up for these folks!

So, any suggestions for an WLAN Adapter?

73,
Neil, WA4AZL
JARS Forever!!