[TriLUG] Ubuntu boot disk does not recognize harddrives

Andrew Ball anball at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 15:05:07 EDT 2008

Posted dump of kernel message buffer (from dmesg) given to me by Doug
to pastebin.ca :

http://pastebin.ca/936929

My comments (also visible on the pastebin page, which will expire in a week):

Things I noticed:

PCI interrupt link .* *0. disabled

ACPI for IRQ routing
-- try appending "pci=routeirq" to the kernel parameters -- report
problem if that fixes your issue

ata_piix looks like the driver for your drive controller. you appear
to have two SATA hard files

something's sub-optimal with the cable you're using for your DVD drive

what's going on with your floppy drive? did you have a floppy in it?
is it cabled properly?

ata{3,4} : SATA .*

how about posting output from 'lspci' and 'dmidecode' on pastebin.ca also ?

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 11:03 AM, Douglas A. Whitfield
<whitdoug at email.unc.edu> wrote:
> I've been using Ubuntu for a while on my laptop and have played around
>  with the two comps at work at various times and finally have the time
>  (Spring Break) and the comfort to get rid of XP on my home desktop.
>  XP runs fine (you know, considering), but when I boot up the Ubuntu
>  7.10 Gutsy install CD, the CD does not recognize either of the
>  physical drives (2 partitions a piece).  If I have a USB key plugged
>  in, the Live CD recognizes that.  I booted up twice, once with and
>  once without.  What can I do to correct the hdd issue?  Would knowing
>  the type of harddrive/motherboard/etc help?
>
>  Thanks,
>  --
>  Douglas A. Whitfield
>
>  UNC SILS, May 2008
>  Co-Founder Carolina Open Source Initiative
>  http://www.ibiblio.org/cosi
>  cell: 919-360-0306
>  --

Peace,