[TriLUG] Apache serving wrong website

Douglas Ward binaryflow at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 10:52:04 EDT 2008

I have an apache server (CentOS 5 - httpd-2.2.3-11.el5_1.centos.3) that
isn't returning web pages in the way that I think it should.  Here's my
entry in vhosts.conf:

<VirtualHost x.x.x.x>
  ServerAdmin admin at domain.org
  DocumentRoot /var/www/sub.domain.org
  ServerName sub.domain.org
   ServerAlias sub.domain.org
  ErrorLog logs/sub.domain.org_error_log
  CustomLog logs/sub.domain.org-access_log common
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost x.x.x.x>
  ServerAdmin admin at domain.org
  DocumentRoot /var/www/domain.org
  ServerName domain.org
   ServerAlias domain.org www.domain.org
  ErrorLog logs/domain.org_error_log
  CustomLog logs/domain.org-access_log common
</VirtualHost>

The server sends all traffic to the main domain website.  I need browsers
that visit sub.domain.org to be sent to the correct site.  It was my
understanding that as long as the sub domain was first in the configuration
file it would work.  Am I missing something?  Shouldn't apache be able to do
this?  I need to host both of these sites on the same server.  Any advice
would be most appreciated.  Thank you!