[TriLUG] Opendns experience?

James Tuttle jjtuttle at trilug.org
Wed Mar 12 13:49:20 EDT 2008

So, I just switched to OpenDNS at home.  DD-WRT makes it pretty simple.
  Also, I'm using DD-WRT to update DynDNS of my dynamic (TWC) IP
address.    dnsomatic keeps track of my IP address at DynDNS and updates
OpenDNS so I can look at stats and change configurations that follow me
as my address changes.

I'm at work, but using an ssh tunnel (ssh -D 8080 home) as a SOCKS5
proxy, I tested it out and it works great.  Faster than Time Warner,
anyway.  Plus, I have a handy url that always points to my home machine
in spite of dynamic IP addresses.

Thanks for the feedback, all!

Jim

NB- Using ssh as a proxy requires a change to Firefox config to send DNS
requests down the proxy tunnel.

http://www.opendns.com
https://www.dnsomatic.com/
https://www.dyndns.com/
http://www.dd-wrt.com/

James Tuttle wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think my DNS at home (TimeWarner crappy class) is flaky occasionally
> and I'm less than pleased with their typo/404 advertising.  Have any of
> you experience with Opendns?  I was thinking of configuring my DD-WRT
> router to use it.  Fast? Reliable?  Issues?
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

---Jim Tuttle