[TriLUG] symbolic links and rsync

James Tuttle jjtuttle at trilug.org
Tue Mar 18 15:10:15 EDT 2008

Hi,

I've been using this command to sync my documents between laptop and
desktop.
rsync -auzvv --copy-links --human-readable --update --partial -e "ssh -l
jjtuttle" /home/jjtuttle/Documents/work/
jjtuttle at zulu:/home/jjtuttle/Documents/work

I have a scripts directory on the desktop that is a mount point for a
read/write Samba connection to another machine.  I want to be able to
work on my laptop, rsync both ways, and have changes to the script
directory propagated to the remote samba server.  I can't rsync directly
to the Samba server due to a firewall.  Here's my error:

rsync: mkstemp
"/home/jjtuttle/Documents/work/ndiipp_project/ndiipp_scripts/.hub.py~.xyWpgM"
failed: Operation not permitted (1)
inflate returned -3 (0 bytes)
ndiipp_project/ndiipp_scripts/NOID/README is uptodate
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
token.c(419) [receiver=2.6.9]
ndiipp_project/ndiipp_scripts/NOID/__db.001 is uptodate
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (228382 bytes received so far)
[generator]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(454)
[generator=2.6.9]
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (5686 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(454)
[sender=2.6.9]

I had been mounting the remote server at /mnt/path and used a symlink in
my home directory to that mount point, but thought I'd try just mounting
directly.  The file hub.py is the file I've been changing to help me
determine if it works.  Obviously, it doesn't.

Any ideas?

Thanks very much,
Jim

James Tuttle wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to organize myself and automate some tasks so that I
> can work smarter.  I often work offline on my laptop and want those
> changes to sync with my desktop at work.  I wrote a two way rsync over
> ssh script that simplifies that.
>
> However, in addition to my desktop, I have a Solaris zone on which I
> keep a bunch of scripts.  So, in the home directory of my desktop I
> created a mount point and mount the scripts directory on my zone via
> Samba.  That works fine until I run the rsync process from my laptop.
> It seems that the symbolic link gets overwritten with a static directory
> and any changes to scripts in that directory no longer propagate to the
> zone.
>
> Any ideas on how I might address this?  I'm not particularly interested
> in subversion and would like to figure out how to manage this within my
> existing infrastructure.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

---Jim Tuttle