[TriLUG] Change GID

Craig Taylor ctalkobt at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 19:18:35 EDT 2008

See the man page for eg:
usermod -u <newUserId> username

Note that it assumes all files located under the home directory of the user
... not sure what the situation is for uucp. You may want to do a find .
-user uucp -print   to get a list before you run it.

The group can be set similairly.

_HOWEVER_ - There are options in the samba mount as Justis mentions to set
the effective user and group id's... these are probably much more preferable
to be used than monkying with changing user and group id's.

<hostMachine>/SHARENAME /media/<MYMNTPOINT> smbfs
username=<myUserName>,password=<myPassword>,dmask=777,umask=777,rw,uid=<UserId>
0 0

Note : This is the insecure way - see man smbfs for how to list the
username, password in a secure root read-only file.

- Craig Taylor