[TriLUG] Change GID

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Wed Mar 19 01:13:57 EDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 09:22:11PM -0400, James Tuttle wrote:

> Right, sorry.  I can't change the GID on the Samba server for a couple
> of reasons.  In fstab the mount command sets the uid and gid of the
> files on the shared drive.  I also force user and group in the smb.conf
> file of the server.

But you shouldn't care anything about the Samba server.  What you are
interested in is the Client end of the connection, which is what the
others are saying.

Because of the nature of the CIFS protocol, you can have different uid
and gid values at each end of the connection.  You can easily set the
gid to whatever you like at the client end, by setting appropriate
parameters in the mount command, as illustrated by one of the previous
posts.  As long as the mount is issued by root, you should even be able
to set the uid and gid to your own, rather than some "system" value,
like uucp.

There is no need to change the values system-wide, just set the mount up
appropriately.

Brian