[TriLUG] hands-on Eee

Brian Phelps brphelps at ieee.org
Mon Mar 31 15:45:04 EDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 01:10 -0400, Maxwell Spangler wrote:
> Can we see an hdparm -tT on the flash based disc space on your EEE pc?
>
> Also (to the group), since flash memory can only be written to so many times,
> does that mean that EEEPC might have longevity problems that a laptop with
> replacement hard drives wouldn't have?  Will EEEpcs just become flaky in the
> long term and be unuseable due to soldered flash memory? curious.

The flash is likely ide bus flash, but an eee-pc owner would know for
sure.  If so you could upgrade when it gets cheaper.  Wear leveling is
handled by the hardware on ide flash.  You get 10k or so writes or so on
any one bit with flash, but that is scattered about on the drive to
avoid wear.  It won't be using swap, thats for sure.  Just make sure you
have plenty of ram and use a lighter desktop than Gnome or KDE.

I have played around with an OLPC, as well as my own home brewed
(IDE-based) flash linux systems.  Boot time is still slow (who the hell
started this flash=quickboot myth anyway?), maybe the IDE bus is a
bottleneck.  On my systems the filesystem is RO, so there's no worry
about flash wear.  Linux hates a RO filesystem without ramdisk & unionfs
trickery.