[TriLUG] fedora 7 & 8 slowness?

Maarten Lippmann m.w.lippmann at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 10:57:36 EDT 2008

In part this might also be due to firefox itself having become more
memory intensive with latter versions. On my windows system at work I
switched to k-meleon some time ago due to frustrations with the slow
needed plugins for in firefox (like mouse gestures) and truly seems an
order of magnitude faster with most things I do. I was quite surprised
with that, and won't likely go back to ff on windows any time soon.
For Gnome you can try galeon as a perhaps snappier alternative, or
other browsers you can find with yum.

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 12:45 PM, Tim Jowers <timjowers at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 1:28 PM, Lance A. Brown <lance at bearcircle.net>
>  wrote:
>

>  > Tim Jowers wrote:
>  > >   Conclusion. Laptops have slow disks and todays applications do a lot
>  > of
>  > > initialization at startup rather than being architected to do these
>  > things
>  > > in a lazy bg thread or in a cached way. E.g. Firefox is 6K and my disk
>  > > transfers at 55MB/s with hdparm; so, it "should" startup with a second
>  > or
>  > > so. Where's the sloth? Clearly the hdparm read transfer time is far more
>  > > optimistic than the real time to read Firefox from the disk. Talking to
>  > the
>  > > X layer? Drawing the windows? Doing some update check to the web (this
>  > one
>  > > should not be a differentiator as we compared apples-to-apples with
>  > > Firefox)?
>  >
>  > Firefox isn't, by any means, only 6K.  The script in /usr/bin is 6K, but
>  > it ends up firing up, eventually, firefox-bin, which is 127K and links
>  > into 42 different shared libraries on my centos5 box.  Some of those
>  > shared libs are firefox specific, as well, so they won't be in memory
>  > before firefox is run.
>  >
>  > That just means even more files and more data to read into memory before
>  > firefox can start up properly.
>

>  You're right. Don't know what I was thinking!  :-)
>

>  >
>  >
>  > --[Lance]
>  >
>  > --
>  >  Celebrate The Circle   http://www.celebratethecircle.org/
>  >  Carolina Spirit Quest  http://www.carolinaspiritquest.org/
>  >  My LiveJournal  http://www.livejournal.com/users/labrown/
>  >  GPG Fingerprint: 409B A409 A38D 92BF 15D9 6EEE 9A82 F2AC 69AC 07B9
>  >  CACert.org Assurer
>  > --
>  > TriLUG mailing list        : http://www.trilug.org/mailman/listinfo/trilug
>  > TriLUG Organizational FAQ  : http://trilug.org/faq/
>  > TriLUG Member Services FAQ : http://members.trilug.org/services_faq/
>  >
>  --

Use plain text, HTML or PDF (adobe acrobat) in stead.

"Is 't noodlot, dat ick vall', van eere en staet berooft,
Laet vallen, als ick vall', met deze kroone op 't hooft,
Dien scepter in de vuist, dien eersleip van vertrouden,
En zoo veel duizenden als onze zyde houden.
Dat valle streckt tot eer, en onverwelckbren lof:
En liever d' eerste Vorst in eenigh laeger hof,
Dan in 't gezalight licht de tweede, of noch een minder
Zoo troost ick my de kans, en vrees nu leet noch hinder."