[TriLUG] New Server Question, Part I - LDAP

Robert Dale robdale at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 13:43:54 EDT 2008

Many applications can integrate with LDAP.  So it could give you one
place to store people account stuff - usernames, phone numbers,
addresses - read: one username/password across all apps.  You can also
do groups, for instance for authorizations for these apps.  It's
possible the benefit could outweigh the learning-curve particularly if
you're going to host several apps as well.

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 11:11 AM, Warren Weber <wrweber at hufta.net> wrote:
> Pardon the start of a series of questions, but I have just rebuilt a
>  server to support our general household as well as providing a
>  technical sandbox for myself and technically inclined spouse.
>
>  The new server is openSUSE 10.3 (chosen because that is what my
>  spouse's company has standardized on).  It will serve as our domain's
>  Web, mail, and applications server.  At this point I am starting to set
>  up the Postfix mail server portion.  Out of the box, it wants to connect
>  to an LDAP server (reading on alt.os.linux.suse, I understand that is
>  not required).  Now, my spouse's company uses LDAP (altough
>  they're a TAD bit bigger than my setup) and she thinks it would be A
>  Good Idea to have one here too.  Being totally unfamiliar with LDAP, I
>  come to y'all for some enlightenment.
>
>  So, my questions ...
>
>  - Would it be a good idea to have an LDAP server at home?
>  - What can I do other than with LDAP other than make Postfix happy
>  (ultimately, there will be more computers, both UNIX and Windoze, on
>  our home network that could use it)?
>  - Would LDAP adminstration be a good skill for someone (me) to
>  have?
>
>  Many thanks!
>  Warren
>
>  --
>
>  I know there's money in horses. I put it there!
>
>  Warren Weber
>  wrweber at hufta.net
>  http://www.hufta.net
>

>  --