[TriLUG] OT: Linux to fix W2k3

David Brain dbrain at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 08:26:19 EDT 2008

Ok,

I've been through this one - restart the system in safe mode
(F<somethingorother>) on startup, you'll eventually get to the login
screen.  Once you get there there is no sign of a 'shutdown' button,
however if you fail to log in at the password prompt (I think only
once but it might be a couple of times) the shutdown button will
appear.

Shut down the system, then (and this is a bit obscure) repeat the
process - I think this is due to the fact that windows re-sets the
filesystem status on startup, not shutdown so it has to be brought up
and down cleanly once before it is happy that the file system is OK.
Then you will be able to use the offline password editor to reset the
password.

Hope that helps.

David.